Bristol History Room Hours
- Tuesday: 2:00 – 4:00pm
- Wednesday: 2:00 – 4:00pm & 6:00 – 7:45pm
- Thursday: 2:00 – 4:00 pm
Fall 2016 Saturday Hours
9:30am – 11:30am
This special collection devoted to local history includes:
- Books about Bristol
- Cemetery and church records
- City directories (1884 – 1991): containing sections for Bristol, Terryville, & Plainville.
- Diaries: such as Candace Robert’s diary & excerpts from Sylvia Lewis’ diary from the early 19th century
- Maps of Bristol: including Sanborn Insurance and topographical maps. An 1802 Survey of Bristol Turnpikes is the oldest original map in the collection.
- The Bristol Press newspaper is available on microfilm from 1871 – 2006 & 2012-present. The subject index for this newspaper makes it easy to research a wide variety of topics.
- Copies of the Bristol Observer, a weekly newspaper, are accessible from December 2004 to the present. There are some missing issues of this newspaper.
- Oral histories
- Photographs & Postcards: view over 3000 photographs and several hundred postcards. Some of them are part of the Treasures of CT Libraries digital collection.
DVDs and Prints Available to Purchase
Specially selected prints from the Bristol History Room Collection are available for purchase. These 8″ X 10″ print formats are suitable for framing
- Individual prints: $10 each
- Set of 4 prints: $35
The DVD “Bristol Remembered” (a slideshow with Music) is also available for $9.95
Main Street, 1960
Main Street, 1890
Old Post Office
Bristol Remembered, a DVD slideshow with music
Read the History of the Library.