It’s National Soup Month! Come enjoy a steamy bowl of soup as we watch “Women on the 6th Floor” (in French with English subtitles) on the big screen in the Manross auditorium on Wednesday, January 30 at 1:00 p.m. Please register in advance for this free event.
Thurs., Dec. 6 @ 1:00p.m.
Come enjoy the sounds of the season during this special afternoon featuring the O’Brien Strings duo. Kate O’Brien and company will be performing familiar holiday classics and popular songs of the last 100 years. Holiday refreshments courtesy of the Friends of the Library will be served. Please register in advance for this FREE holiday event. All are welcome!
Fiddlin’ Around Social
Wed., Sept. 26 @ 1:00 pm
Lively entertainment will be presented by the Bristol Old Tyme Fiddlers Club. This dynamic group led by Gerry Lagace will charm the audience with their toe-tapping tunes. Come join the fun. Refreshments will be served. Please register in advance.
Afternoon Movie Event
Tuesday, October 2 @ 1:00 p.m. in the Manross auditorium.
Some of the finest actors in England lend their formidable talents in this charming fish-out-of-water yarn. The Brits, who include Evelyn (Judi Dench), Muriel (Maggie Smith), Douglas (Bill Nighy), and Graham (Tom Wilkinson), are planning retirement in a less expensive country. After “thorough research on the Internet,” the group chooses what looks to be a grand, peaceful retreat, the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. It turns out that the bloom is off this marigold!
OCTOBER Book Bites Book Discussion
Tuesday, Oct. 9 @ 1:30 pm with light refreshments
Thursday, Oct. 11 @ 5:30 pm with potluck
Moloka’i by Alan Brennert is our selection for book discussion this month. Limited copies of the book will be available.
Mon., Oct. 22 @ 1:00 pm
The Midnight Belles, Faye Ringel and April Grant, will present a historically-informed program of spooky songs, ballads, and poems of the supernatural, particularly suited to the autumnal season. Refreshments will be served. Registration is required
NOVEMBER Book Bites Book Discussion
Thursday, Nov. 8 @ 5:30 pm with potluck
Tuesday, Nov. 13 @ 1:30 pm with light refreshments
Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda will be discussed this month at Book Bites. Limited copies are available.
Veterans’ Coffee Social
Fri, Nov. 9 @ 9:00 am
Hosted by Bob Montgomery, USMC. Enjoy fellowship and refreshments. Sign our Veterans’ “Roll of Honor” and receive a token of our appreciation for your service. ALL are welcome. Please register for this event.
Fall Storytime Schedule
Two-year olds on Tuesdays @ 9:30 a.m.
Three, four, & five year-olds on Tuesdays @ 10:30 a.m. and Thursdays @ 1:00 p.m.
Registration is required for storytime.
Drop-in Children’s Craft
Held on the first Saturday of the month: October 6, November 3, & December 1 @ 10:30 a.m.
National Food Day Storytime
Wednesday, October 24 @ 10:30 a.m.
with special guest storyteller Liz Gruber featuring stories, crafts, and healthy snacks for preschoolers. Please register in advance for this free event.
A Book Voyagers Program sponsored by CT Humanities.
Saturday, October 13 @ 4:15 p.m.
As part of the Forestville Annual Pumpkin Festival, this is a special presentation of Tales an Tunes with Mary Jo Maichak, immediatley followed by the Costume Parade to the Village Center.
No registration for this free family event.
Manross Memorial Library Summer Reading Program
June 25th. – August 10th.
Sign-up begins: June 18th.
How the Program Works
1. Registration for the Summer Reading Program begins June 18th.
2. Summer Reading Participants may then sign-up for a variety of programs.
3. You’ll receive a logbook to record the titles of books or minutes you read this summer.
4. Sign a contract with the librarian to decide how many books or minutes you plan to read.
5. We will be offering a variety of programs & prizes all summer, so see the
list of events on the back of this flier and drop in as often as possible.
6. Everyone who completes the program by finishing their contract will be invited to a
special ice cream social.
7. Reading alone, reading with parents, and being read-to, all count toward completing the contract!
For more information, or to register,
Please visit or call the library
Or find us on Facebook.
Manross Memorial Library
Summer Reading 2012
Special Programs Calendar
- Annual Pet Parade with Special Guest Rocky Rock Cat (all ages): Friday, June 22 at 9:00 a.m. Stuffed or live pets OK. Every pet is a winner. In the lower parking lot. Registration required.
- Nutmeg Lunch Bunch Book Club (grades 4-6): Mondays, June 25 through August 6 at 1:00 p.m. Bring your Lunch! Books available at the library. Registration required.
- Summer Story Time (all ages): Wednesdays, June 27 through August 8 at 10:30 p.m. Drop-in. No registration required. (No Story Time on July 4 or July 25).
- “Dreams, Books & Magic,” magic & comedy w/ Steve Woyce (all ages): Tuesday, June 26 at 10:00 a.m. Registration required.
- “Stuffed Animal Sleepover & Breakfast” (all ages): Drop off stuffed animals during library hours on Thursday, July 12. Find stuffed animals & have breakfast at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, July 13. Registration required.
- “Shivers & Chills,” spooky stories for a friendly fright with music & games (all ages): Thursday, July 19 at 10:00 a.m. Registration required.
- “Go for the Stars,” Science & robotics with Gary Pozzato & ROBO the Friendly Robot (ages 5 & up): Wednesday, July 25 at 10:30 a.m. Registration required.
- “Dream Big-Read!” magic show with Magic Jim Vargias (all ages): Monday, July 30, at 10:30 a.m. Registration required.
- “Father Goose’s Tales,” songs & stories with Nappy’s Puppets (all ages): Wednesday, August 1, at 11:30 a.m. Registration required.
- “Juggling & Summer Reading Fun,” comedy & magic with Flow Circus (all ages): Wednesday, August 8 at 2:00 p.m. Registration required.
- Ice Cream Social, closing program. Open to all summer reading participants who have completed their reading contracts. Friday, August 10 at 1:00 p.m.